Sunday, April 5, 2009

Anticipation... It's all Good.


I'm not the most patient person you'll ever meet. I readily admit it. I do NOT like waiting for surprises to be revealed or for hair appointments to be available. I get really grumpy if I have to sit for more than 15 minutes in a waiting room and I found out the sex of both of my babies as early in my pregnancy as possible. As a kid, I HATED counting down until Christmas morning or the first day of summer camp and I still stare out the window waiting for the UPS truck on days when I'm getting a fun package. Can't stand traffic or red lights or being put on hold on the telephone.
But I'm trying to get better. Just be patient with me. ;) 
I'm definitely making progress. I'm even starting to enjoy the anticipation of things. Maybe it's because I ALWAYS seem to have a good thing going, so the waiting in between is easier? I don't know. But yes, I am enjoying watching my yard slowly burst forth with color. Every day I look at the buds and I feel giddy watching them grow until they look as though they could burst open right before my very eyes! 
I'm getting better about enjoying being lost in a really long book or being excited for a certain movie to come out on DVD. It's all good. 
I have a LOT to look forward to and I'm enjoying the feeling of anticipation... waiting for my first nephew to arrive on April 14 (maybe that's easier knowing EXACTLY when he's coming!) and I'm super duper looking forward to my dearest friend Gillian coming to visit on April 20. And before all that, there's Easter and right after that we're going to California to MEET my nephew (and of course, squeeze in a trip to Disneyland! WOO HOO!)... 
So I just feel happy. And full of patience. It's lovely that all this waiting isn't coated in anxiety, but rather seems to surround me like a pleasant aura of gladness. 
Maybe it's because I've finally learned to just be totally okay in the NOW, not always looking backward or forward, but just being content at every moment. I can sit on my porch, letting the minutes wash over me until I realize those minutes have turned into hours. And I am still ready to sit some more. :)
There's a lovely quote you may have heard that sums it up so perfectly...
"The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present." -Babatunde Olatunji

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see one of MY pictures made it on your blog! You look great. You should post more pictures of yourself. It's your blog . . . people want to see you.