Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Guess what? Root canals really *do* suck!

I'm not sure what's worse... getting old, or admitting it. 

Today, I feel like I took a giant leap toward officially becoming an old woman. :( I got my first crown. No, not a nice sparkly bejeweled crown, but a stinkin' FAKE TOOTH OF A CROWN. 

Sigh. It came as quite a shock, but after several hours, I think I have finally cried out most of the tears, I think. 

Yes, I had the dreaded root canal AND got a crown today... all in one very miserable, very expensive trip to the dentist. I wonder if the Tooth Fairy will come and leave $1,500 under my pillow tonight??? You think? 

Probably not. 

So yeah. I feel old. My teeth are officially starting to fall out (okay, that's exaggerating just a bit, but just be nice to your elders and play along with me or I might whack you with my cane... well, I don't have a cane, yet, but I probably will soon...). John's already making jokes about me going to the store to buy Fixodent (in case, God forbid, the temporary crown decides to fall out during Easter brunch). 

So0000 not funny. I had to remind him that HE will turn 40 LONG before I will. And yes, I do plan to rub it in. Daily. 

I just recently finished reading the BEST book (Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet) and in one part a man was describing an older woman as having "attractive crinkles at the corners of her eyes." Awwwwwww. Isn't that SWEET??!! I want *my* husband to talk about me that way, not make Fixodent jokes!! 

The reality of it is, it's happening. I'm getting old. And I don't like it, even though I try to convince myself that what my mother says is true, that at least it's better than the alternative. ;) 

I just wish the *reality* of growing old with your spouse was as romantic as the notion seems to be when you're young and talking about growing old together. Know what I mean? 

Not quite sure what the point of this blog is. Just to blog it I suppose. To say I had a traumatic experience today. To say I feel old. To say my husband better be extra nice to me for a day or two while I lick my wounds. To say I had to kiss a new Dyson vacuum cleaner goodbye as I paid the unexpected dentist bill. To say getting older sucks, even though it's still better than being dead. 

And that's all I've got to say. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should have posted your dental X-rays! J