Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New...

A new year is always fun, don't you think? The promise of so many new adventures to come... and memories to make. A fresh start. Clean slate. 
Looking back on 2008, I just cannot believe what a fabulous year we had. We are so incredibly blessed!!
Some of the highlights... we went to Kauai with John's family, went on a Caribbean cruise with my family, sent both kids to summer camp at LLYC, taught the kids to waterski, went skydiving (and lived to tell about it!), spent Thanksgiving with friends and family at the pub and then had a perfect Christmas surrounded by loved ones here at home... um, hello, it just doesn't get much better than that my friends!! 
Hard to believe Kathryn turned 1o this year. Wow. A decade. She's growing up so fast. Too fast. She got to go to Science Camp with the 5th grade, was a cheerleader during football season and is now playing basketball. Kathryn and I had a fun Girls Only trip and went back to California to visit all of our friends there. Yes, I think she had a good year. 
Jasper also continues to delight us daily. He's really coming in to his own. He's funny and smart, just like his Dad... and of course, good lookin', like me. ;) I know he had a good year because, well, that's just how he is. Always happy. No matter what. Lucky kid. 
And John... ahhh yes, well, big year for him since he finally got the ginormous TV of his boyhood dreams!! LOL! He's also really enjoying his incredible work schedule that comes with seniority. Life is good. 
And me. Gosh, really, what more could I possibly as for? Nothing. Not a single thing. Except maybe world peace. I adore my children beyond words and my husband is still my very bestest friend in the whole wide world. He makes me laugh daily and can still make my toes curl. He's still even the most handsome guy I know, although Jasper is working very hard to play catch up in that department. Heck, even my dog is the way coolest and cutest dog there is... so yes, I am a happy, happy girl. I also love how my relationship with my parents continues to grow. I have totally hip and fun parents (even though my 13-year-old niece would NOT agree! LOL!) and LOVE that I can honestly call them great, great friends.
I'm looking forward to 2009. It's going to be another fantabulous year for us. We will be going back to Kauai in March and then John and I get to go do a BIG grown up trip to Ireland this summer while the kids are in camp. We're also very much anticipating the birth of our first nephew in April! Cannot WAIT to meet him!! Oh, and let's not forget John will be celebrating the big 4-0 in July! Whoa ho! :) 
But unfortunately, most years do not pass without some sadness. Just this month, there have been two tragic deaths near us. One of Kathryn's friends, Stephany, was killed in a car accident on December 16. She was only 11 years old. The whole community has been torn apart by this incredibly tragic loss. She was a sweet, sweet girl. 
Another friend, one of the Cub Scout leaders, gave birth to a baby girl, Shelby, on December 10. Sadly, Shelby was born into the world much too early and did not survive. She passed away on December 23. Bless her little soul. 
I thank God every day for our continued health and pray He keeps us healthy and out of harm's way. 
I also thank all of my dear friends and family for helping make this such a memorable year. I am just filled to the brim with happiness and gratitude and feel like the most blessed friend, daughter, wife and mother in the entire world. 
Happy New Year's Eve everyone!!! Be safe tonight! See you next year! :)

No comments: