Saturday, January 10, 2009

Now THAT is what I call a nail biter!!!


Oh boy. I'm exhausted. 
I bit off three fingernails and got a new gray hair today between 3:08 and 3:12 p.m. 
Why, you ask? Well, does TRIPLE OVERTIME mean anything to you? Ha ha ha!
Yes, the Melissa Cardinals 2nd grade boys' basketball team went into TRIPLE overtime tonight, with a three-time shoot off against the opposing team from Anna. 
It was thrilling. Excruciating. And suspenseful... and in the end, wonderful! I think that's the most excitement this town has seen in quite some time. Great stuff!! 
It was definitely one of those "Hoosiers" moments... 
The crowd grows silent. Everyone is holding their breath. Fingers are crossed. The coach's son is up. This is it people. Last chance. Do or die. He shoots... he SCORES!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!! The crowd goes WILD and the Cardinals win, 16-15. 
Now let's be frank. I don't even really CARE that much about basketball, honestly. I don't care if we win or lose. I just want the boys to have a good time, get a little exercise and basically avoid losing any teeth in the ol' ball vs. mouth battle. I don't like the yelling or the aggression. Or the sound of little knees and elbows scraping the floor. I'd rather we all just hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" around the campfire. 
But today, I CARED. Everyone in the gym cared, whether they wanted to or not. 
I've never seen Coach Sparks so animated or happy. He deserved this moment. And how great that HIS boy gave it to him. Way to go Hunter!! And way to go ALL the Cardinal boys today. You guys stayed tough and fought hard and gave the crowd a thrill they won't soon forget. You're all champs tonight!!! And we'll try not to hold it against you that you gave all us old farts a few extra gray hairs in the process. It was well worth it. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that story! Kumbaya? Yeah right! Any coach I know what laugh at that. I understand you though sister! Herdman

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Jasper and to the whole Cardinals Team. Wish I could have been there, because (unlike your Mom) I love basketball. I'm happy for you. Wish the Spurs were doing as well......
Love, Gramma

Anonymous said...

LOVE that picture!

Buf