Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Spring Fever!

"It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!"                                                                                                                                     ~Mark Twain







Are you feeling it? I sure am. I have a wicked case of spring fever. I have so many things I'm itching to do and see!! I want to take more pictures like the ones I took above, last year. I want to pick wildflowers and make dandelion wishes. I want to chase butterflies and catch baby frogs and lady bugs. I want to get outside early and stay out late. I want to rock for hours out on the back porch.
It's so impossible to believe that about this time last year we had a crazy crazy snowstorm! But today the weather is supposed to be absolutely delightful so we're going to get outside and plant a ton of seeds and bulbs my mother has harvested and sent to us. Our yard is awakening and budding and stretching its tired limbs... ready to shake off those winter blues and start to party! I can hardly wait. 
My mother has been MIA here lately. She's usually one of my most loyal blog followers, but the call of the dirt is just too powerful and so she's out from dusk 'til dawn. I miss her, but I know she's sublimely happy this time of year.
My mom has always been an amazing gardener. She'll say she's really not, but she's just modest or maybe comparing herself to the wrong people. 
I remember as a child going to nurseries with her, loving the damp smell of earth and the tickle of the misters on my face. Even after my traumatic experience of getting stuck in the electric doors, I still loved when she'd drag me along to the nurseries. I loved getting lost in what felt like a huge, safe jungle. I loved how happy my mom always looked, searching for new "growies" to take home. I also loved that it meant when we got back home we'd get to have a full day outside, basking in the sun, while my mom planted her new finds. 
I'm happy to finally have a yard where I can REALLY garden... I mean, more so than just planting cheap annuals from Lowe's. But it's quite intimidating, so I'm very glad to have my mom as my mentor and cheerleader... and of course, plant identifier! LOL! I'm TERRIBLE with plant names. To me it's just "you know, the one with the long yellow petals or the big orange center?" Drives my mom crazy. But she's patient and kind and willing to help me learn. 
John and Kathryn have been throwing out TONS and TONS of wildflower seeds, so I'm cautiously excited to see how the meadow looks this year... even though we haven't had much rain at all, SURELY SOMETHING will grow? 
Well, I hear the birds starting to sing, so that means it's almost time... "time to go out and get some dirt in my teeth," as my mother would say. 
Hope you all are enjoying this delicious anticipation of spring as much as I am... only 16 more days and we're there!! Happy Gardening! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah shucks, Stacy, I'm not that good. At some point during my forty years of gardening I've managed to kill one of everything - sometimes two. My gardening journal (which you made for me and is the envy of all of my friends) actually has an obituary page of plants that I've managed to assassinate. Seems like I buy plants guaranteed to "thrive on neglect" and then just love them to death. But I'm learning. The best thing about gardening is that it is not a destination but a journey. Due to transfers and moves, I've had to go off and leave a lot of yards that I had put a lot of work into creating. It used to make me sad. Now I have a new philosophy. Nobody is going to come along and take over my current yard or turn it into a public garden. So it, too, will someday decline. But that's okay. Because you see, it's really about the fun I have while I'm out there digging and planting and weeding and watching things grow. And if something dies, that's okay too because it gives me the opportunity to plant something different. Well, actually, to be honest I'm still pissed off that I lost that Black Cherry tree.

Anyway, I feel so happy knowing that my gardening is something that gave you fond memories. And I'm even more excited that you are turning into a Dirt Devil yourself. I got all warm and fuzzy the other day when the little Golden Grounsel I brought home with me from Melissa popped up. I think of you everytime I see it. Some people consider it a weed; to me it's a memento.

Happy Spring, Darlin'. Enjoy your March Maddness (as I am). But don't put any tomato plants or zinnias out yet. Texas is famous for an Easter cold front. Don't be fooled by these eighty degree days as 'tis the time of fickle weather.

Love you, Mom