Wednesday, May 10, 2017

"Squiddy Tiddy" 


My Dad always called things "do-hickey," "do-dad," "whatchamacallit" or "thing-a-ma-jig" when he couldn't remember the names of stuff. I loved that silly side of him. I also loved the more serious/curious side of him that wanted to tinker with something (with furrowed brow) to find out how it worked (or how he could go home and replicate it for half the price). I think the Engineer in him would've been fascinated by this here whatchamacallit (that, for lack of any better term, John and I have decided to refer to as my "Squiddy Tiddy."). John's a lot like my Dad in that he just always wants to know how things work (along with "why"... it's a little bit like living with an obnoxiously-inquisitive toddler). I think my Pilot Husband missed his calling as Physicist because he was positively drooling over this do-dad today and asked the radiologist roughly 56 questions about the device and process (while I sat idly by wondering if we should get Schlotzky's or Chipotle for lunch). It really was pretty fascinating. I think it will be a tad less fascinating once it's sticking out of the side of my body, but for the time being, yeah, pretty cool cutting-edge technology. This method of radiology (only for some lucky qualified patients) replaces the traditional 6-week treatment plan. For this option, the surgeon inserts this do-dad into my boob two weeks after surgery and I get to "wear" it for a week. (FUN! Looking forward to John shampooing my hair "Out of Africa" style.) I'll go to radiation twice a day for 5 days and during those treatments they'll drop the radioactive "hot" seed in the little tubes sticking out and zap the area hollowed out from the lumpectomy, ONLY radiating the affected area, not the entire breast. Each treatment takes about 20 minutes. Cool huh? 
We loved the radiologist today! He, himself, is a cancer survivor and so goes super duper above and beyond to make sure you understand EVERYTHING and are comfortable with all the information and treatment plan. Great guy! He spent 20+ minutes reviewing my case with us while writing it all out on the white board, like an enthusiastic football coach, explaining it play by play. 
So... now I've got my GAME PLAN and I'm pumped and ready to get out there, play some awesome offense and tackle this bitch head on! Look out cancer... cause you're goin' DOWN! 
Tomorrow is pre-op (x-ray, EKG, blood work etc) and surgery is next Wednesday. LET'S DO THIS! 


No comments: