Monday, May 1, 2017

"Step Away from the Bubble"
Those of you who know me well know I'm a little bit like Glinda the Good Witch. I like to float around in my Happy Little Bubble, not a care in the world, smiling down at my own two Munchkins in this Happy Place where I live. I have a good life. I'm genuinely happy. I like crafts. And fluffy things. I cry at sappy movies and kitten videos. I do ridiculous dances around the kitchen while I cook and love to send care packages (covered with embarrassing stickers, of course) to people. I use too many emoticons and love to throw parties or decorate for holidays. I like my life in this bubble.
John and I often talk about the Bad Stuff That Happens to Other People. There are so many sad stories and struggles out there... and it seems like the older we get, the closer to home those stories get. It makes me feel vulnerable and quite often I'll say to John, "You know, my life seems so close to perfect that I sometimes wonder when my bubble will burst." I'm paranoid like that. 
Well, it hasn't totally burst, but tonight I'm feeling like my Happy Bubble has a pesky hole poked in it and the air is slowly leaking out while I'm desperately trying to patch it and while keeping myself afloat. This has been a rough week with too much hitting way too close to home... first the big "C" diagnosis (Um, yeah, that was pretty much a direct hit! LOL!) and then tornadoes that devastated a community nearby. Then today receiving a text message from my own daughter, who was locked in a classroom at UT, huddled in a corner with other terrified students, living out a nightmare we usually only watch unfold on TV, while a suspect went berserk and stabbed four people, killing one on the scene... one floor below where Kathryn was sitting. 
OH MY GOD. TOO MUCH UNIVERSE. I'd really like it if you could kindly STEP AWAY FROM MY BUBBLE now, thankyouverymuch. 
For tonight, I'm going to go climb in a bath full of bubbles... and I'm going to close my eyes and pray for the families who lost their loved ones or homes in the tornadoes and for the families who lost their son/brother/friend in the stabbing and for all the shell-shocked students at UT and for my precious daughter and I'm going to thank God for keeping her safe... and tomorrow will be a new day.
In other news... CT scan of chest, abdomen and pelvis happens for me tomorrow morning at 9... so be sending good vibes!!! I won't know any results for a few days, but will keep you posted. 
Now, if you can, go hug your kids or your husband or your dog or pet goldfish. Love you all. 

No comments: