Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The best present I never received...

No, that's not a typo. This really is about the best gift I never received. :) 
Let me explain. 
John was cleaning out his hotmail account inbox the other day. He had some embarrassing number of old (REALLY OLD!) emails cluttering up his life, so he was doing some house cleaning. Let's just rewind allllllllllll the way back to 2005. Yup. Long time ago. I think he needs to check that account more often! 
Anyway, point is, three years ago he apparently was feeling motivated to give me the best birthday ever. Something gave him the idea that 35 was a big deal. Humph. Okayyyy. I'll go with that? So yeah, my sweet adorable husband emailed ALL of my BFFs asking for their suggestions and advice on what I should get for my 35th birthday. And the silly boy saved all their responses! 
So I had the EXTREME pleasure of reading all these replies yesterday! OH MY GOSH. I have THE BEST GIRLFRIENDS EEEEEEEEEEEVER!! You would not BELIEVE their sweet (and WONDERFUL!) suggestions. Let me show you a few: 

First from one of my dearest friends ever, my college roommate, Leanna:
  • flowers and lots of them
  • spa day or a full massage from you
  • write a poem, if you are in to that
  • EE Cummings wrote a fab poem called "I carry your heart with me". Look it up. She'll love it.
  • make her a chocolate cake, covered with slices of strawberries. don't forget the champagne
  • party with the whole family, have her mom give you pictures of each birthday and show everyone the changes she's gone through to get to her wonderful phase she's in now.
  • let her know you appreciate every minute you have with her and that you you love going through the journey of life as her husband. (really mushy, i know)

  • Now from my FAAAAAAAAABULOUS BFF from Canada, Gillian:
    I am SERIOUSLY missing your lovely wife right now - and with her birthday coming up, I was thinking .... maybe ..... that I could fly out to surprise her for two days or so? I would purchase the airline ticket, so don't worry about passes and stuff. I just want to see her so much!!! I am running this idea by you 1) because it would be awesome to surprise her and 2) I think you would best know if Stacy could handle visitors right now (or at the end of the month). I know this the busiest time for our photography, but as of Nov. 21 I am no longer shooting - and I think Stacy will be taking a break, as well. There will orders to deliver and such, but being in the same business, I can certainly help Stacy organize her orders if they arrive while I'm there visiting. I'm also a very low-maintenance guest! :) So, what do you think? A three day mini-surprise-Stacy-trip? I would love it!
    AWWWWWWWWWWWW I was SO CRYING after just these two replies! But wait, there's more!! 
    Check out these amazing ideas from my very clever, sweet friend, Heidi, from Washington:
    Does she have a favorite candy? Chocolate? Go the extra mile and buy 35 truffles????
    Does she have any dreams? Running a marathon?, taking a class? writing a book? Visiting Paris at Christmas?  if so....acknowledge that dream....get her running shoes, a journal, a statue of the Eiffel tower.
    What about write a poem? could he do that? Have it framed? 
     Maybe find a spa and get her a facial or massage and a pedicure? Nothing makes women feel more special and pampered than pretty toes I will keep thinking.....
    What about a piece of jewelry? It looks like she wears it? Something artistic? Is there a Nordstroms close by? They have "new artist" pieces all the time and could help him if he is clueless. They also have very classic whimsical and fun things too- w/ lots of selection. Kind of expensive but....it’s a suggestion.
     How about.....a first edition book does she have a favorite author? Maybe a signed copy?  
     What about a girls night out plan? He could plan a fun overnight for her and a few of her buddies- w/ maybe a hotel room, wine, candy? Bring out the kid in her...???
    And let's not forget my hysterical fun friend, Terri, from California...
    How about something with the number 35....like 35 hidden envelopes all containing something hidden around the house??????????  I love that stuff !  Some could just contain a few words of love and romance and some certain gift certificates and perhaps a final one sending her to a favorite restuarant where you will be waiting for her?  You could number the envelopes so she gets that there are 35 of them....or have 35 balloons delivered with a message inside each one....
     I will be thinking of cool ideas for you.........I know she is weird about lingerie and picky about certain things...no pomp and circumstance kind of girl....yet loves when you pamper her really....  ;)
    ---------------------------------------- 
    Okay, so the FUNNY thing about this whole ordeal is that I got NONE OF THE ABOVE from my husband!!!!!!!!! BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA. Really... I think it was truly one of the most boring birthdays ever. That's okay... he can maybe make up for it THIS time around. But I wanted to thank all my girlfriends for their replies and ideas. I'm touched that you think I deserve all that fabulous stuff! Hee hee. You guys are the BEST!!!! And they always say, it's the thought that counts anyway!! Thank you all for a wonderful gift... I never received. ;) 
     

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Hahah! I love it! So sad you never received MY gift! LOL! Ahh, well, next birthday perhaps.

    MEN - they just don't get it!

    Love you lots, Stacy, and I hope your birthday coming up is better than you 35th birthday! xoxoxo

    Anonymous said...

    i must have wrote that back when I was basking in creative suggestions... Herdman