Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Never a dull moment"

This was one of my Mom's favorite things to say when I was growing up. This, as well as, "This too shall pass" are things we heard pretty much daily. Still do. :) 
Anyway, Mom, I'm having one of those "never a dull moment" mornings. John got up at 4 a.m. to go to work, then the HELLACIOUS storm started, the power went out and then back on, making our "Adams Family" doorbell chime obnoxiously (yes, at 4:15 a.m.), then the continuous lightening and craaaaaaazy thunder started. Have you ever viciously ripped a pair of jeans? That's what the thunder sounds like this morning. THEN the phone rang... another "red alert" warning from the weather service for severe thunderstorms and flash flooding... well DUH!! 
So I finally decide I'm not going to be able to go back to sleep since the lightening is searing my retinas despite the protection of the curtains AND my eyelids. I come down to the office for a little "quiet time" before the kids get up and I'm hearing this bumping sound... look out the window, and staring me RIGHT in the face is a momma raccoon and her FIVE babies!!! They're all sopping wet and chowing down on bird food the mom knocked out of the bird feeder (so THAT is where all that food is going!). 
Yes, here in Texas, there really *is* never a dull moment. Especially where the wildlife is concerned. We've only been here 10 months and already I've come face to face with raccoons, armadillos, opossums, a Copperhead snake, a tarantula, several Brown Recluse spiders and scorpions (NOT happy about that since these were IN my house!), baby bunnies, roadrunners and the craziest assortment of ugly-ass bugs you've EVER seen!!! 
Well, the gully washer seems to be passing. Wonder if I can go back to sleep. I suppose it's worth a try. :) 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot my all-time favorite saying, "God, give me strength". With school starting in another 3 days 14 hours (but who's counting?), I'm using this one alot!
Mom